Paint Protection Film – Protect your investment
Imagine if your brand new car could “heal” itself? That rock chip or door ding just vanishes several minutes after it happens. With self-healing paint protection film, that could actually happen.
Self-Healing Paint Protection Film
There are many variations of protective films that can be applied to vehicles. The films are designed to provide a protective layer between the vehicle’s fragile paint and the outside world.
The most popular film manufacturers are well-known companies like 3M or Premium Shield. These companies have a built a reputation for providing the best and most durable paint protection films on the market.
But what is “self-healing” paint protection film?
Self-healing protection film has a variety of layers to it, made up of polyurethane, adhesives, polyester, and a clear coat. This is done through an advanced process called microreplication. Aside from protecting against fading and stains, these layers work together to both protect the car’s paint and react to heat in order to “heal” any surface damage inflicted on the film.
See the example in video below
It is recommended for front and back bumpers
How Does it Work?
Although deceiving, self-healing paint protection film is not actually removing the scratches or other surface damage from the paint.
The multiple layers work in a variety of ways:
– The adhesive allows the film to stick to the car (while also allowing it to be removable without damaging the car’s paint underneath)
– The polyurethane coating protects the paint from damage by providing a (relatively) thick coating that is scratch and impact resistant
– The clear coat protects the film from stains, fading, and yellowing (a common problem with lower quality films)
When the film is scratched, the surface shows visible damage to the film. However, once heat is applied (by the sun or heat gun), the underlying layers “rearrange” themselves on a particle-level in order to dissipate the scratch.
This dissipation creates the illusion that the scratches are healing themselves right before your eyes.
This process doesn’t affect the integrity of the film and the same area can be scratched many times before the scratches become permanent. Unless you’re purposefully scuffing the same area over and over again, the likelihood of scratches remaining permanent is very low.
For normal daily-driving, maintenance, and storage circumstances, your paint will be virtually invincible.
Different Brands Available in the market and on Alibaba.com & Amazon etc.
There is no special maintenance required with 3M Scotchgard Pro Series Paint Protection Film.
Comparison of different brands
As mentioned earlier in this post, there are a variety of films from a variety of manufacturers. Here is the experience of different brands.
3M is best in PPF industry
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Paint Protection Film?
We’re not here to blow smoke – but to provide facts. And the fact remains that paint protection film is not for everyone. While it’s a great way to reduce scratching, rock chips, and other surface damage, it comes with some pros and cons to consider.
Advantages of Paint Protection Film
- Strongest material to protect against rock chips and paint damage
- Incredible healing properties – like Wolverine – if you want Deadpool healing, an Instant Healing PPF like Kavaca is perfect
- Prevents paint scratching, marring, or swirl marks
- Longest lasting paint protection solution on the market – up to 10 years or more when combined with a professional-grade nano coating
- Better engineering and technology than in years past – no more yellowing or reduced hydrophobic properties
Disadvantages of Paint Protection Film
- Many grades of PPF. Not all products or brands are same – so do your research to choose the best solution for your application.
- Difference in Self Healing Property: There are some PPF’s that offer the ultimate paint protection film properties – by instantly healing scratches. But most are ‘self-healing’ that require some heat or physical repair techniques to remove the surface scratches.
- Not a DIY solution. A paint protection film is a professional-grade clear film product that should be applied by experts. While there are DIY clear bra products, results simply don’t match professional-grade PPF
- It’s an investment. There is no way to spin this – PPF is not cheap. It’s an investment in the quality and condition of your vehicle. It’s always best to work with a certified PPF dealership or authorized detailer.